Monday, February 7, 2011

Tranquil times

Feb. 5
Now begin the days of tranquility - official self-proclaimed duties as court builder, meeting moderator and educational liason all successfully executed. I become a reader, of Lawrence Durrell, an author whose eloquence I hope influences my prose; of the Daily Monitor and New Vision, newspapers that chronicle the political and social dramas of the region, past and present, as the presidential election approaches. It is now the 5th, and they wil occur on the 18th, and like in the US they will determine a great deal. I plan on being absent for the impact, perhaps in Rwanda, only an hour to the south. Only Fort Portal in the Rwenzori Mountains and a date with a school in Lira to the north, remain on my itinerary.
   I'm running short on v-vall nets and balls. The dozens of laughing orphans at the Foundations home who now play daily on the net I brought are all I could have intended for my cargo. Chelsea, a daughter of Kent Kitchell's neighbor, holds one pole in place while another attendant aecures the other. I play on the lawn with the kids, trying to teach technique which surrenders to general chaos and hilarity as young bodies fly and fall, and happiness reigns in their lives ... at least for the moment.
  I also play with the university team at a nearby pre-school that has a nice court. The 4 hour rain yesterday morning had soaked in by 5PM  when some talented players arrived to play. Several could make the Royals squad this year, so they are quite good. I'm glad for the victory I earned the day before (28-26 in a game to 21) and the chance to coach these

No comments:

Post a Comment